´´Mice have long been recognized as a valuable tool for investigating the genetic and physiological bases of human diseases such as diabetes, infectious disease, cancer, heart disease, and a wide array of neurological disorders. With the advent of transgenic and other genetic engineering technologies, the versatility and usefulness of the mouse as a model in biomedical research has soared. As a result, mouse colonies everywhere are expanding, and scientists who previously focused on other models are turning their attention to the mouse.´´
´´Revised to reflect advances since the first edition, The Laboratory Mouse, Second Edition continues to be the most accessible reference on the biology and care of the laboratory mouse. This guide presents basic information and common procedures in detail to provide a quick reference source for investigators, technicians, and caretakers in the humane care and use of the mouse in the laboratory setting. Expanded, updated, and now in color, this new edition includes coverage of the biological features, husbandry, management, veterinary care, experimental methodology, and resources applying specifically to the mouse.´´
The Academic Union is an international academic association of over 200 University Chancellors, Scientists and Researchers. The committees and the Union as a whole pursue the ideals of Academic Excellence, Innovation and Accessibility and are committed to disseminating these core values through its worldwide community.The primary aim of the Union is to consolidate the efforts of scientists, educators, industrialists, and manufacturers on science, education and business integration and development in the XXIst century.
Leaders of higher education, institutions, colleges, researchers, scientists, teachers, and representatives of higher education and business structures can join the Academic Union, regardless of ethnic or religious backgrounds. In addition, educational organizations and institutions can join the Academic Union as associate members.
The Academic Union members are invited to attend the annual Union gathering – EBA Reception, which is traditionally held in Oxford since 2000, as well as other activities of the Union’s partners to share experiences, discuss new research and gain support from each other.
Welcome address from Dr. Vincenzo Costigliola, Honourary President of the Academic Union Oxford (AUO)
Dear members, colleagues and friends,
It is with great honour that I have accepted the position of President of the Academic Union.
I am delighted to be joining the Academic Union at a very exciting time; full of ambitious projects, expansions, and no doubts, challenges.
I am committed to provide support in order for these projects to be successfully completed.
In particular I’m thinking of the plans to have a new Academic Lounge in 2016; at the plans to increase the members of the Speakers Bureau and the project in which I strongly believe which will look into expanding the influence of our network of Universities to promote student exchange and the exchange of academic resources.
Part of the activities undertaken for the past 25 years by the European Medical Association, of which I am founder and President, are to research and promote all resources available at national and international level.
Of course the Academic Union is amongst those valued resources.
The programs and objectives presented by the AU are broad and stimulating, facing the increasing needs of a rapidly evolving multicultural and multi-ethnic society.
Being able to actively contribute to the realisation of the projects that AU suggests becomes for me a professional as well as a personal commitment which, however, will need everyone’s effort, support and continuous enthusiasm to overcome any upcoming challenges in order to achieve our much wanted results. I look forward to working with you all.
Mission and Vision
The Academic Union mission is integration and coordination of the educational institutions, scientific research institutes and business structures to enhance and improve educational research, educational and cultural activities, and to provide scientific ideas and inventions implementation.
Its vision is to support the endeavours of its members, for the innovative projects and programmes, as well as raise interest and funding for such projects.
Members are joined to actively participate in the following international projects:
- Publication of the institution presentation page and scientific article in the Socrates Almanac (deadline for materials May, 28). Materials requirements are in the registration form
- Press-releases about scientific research and findings in the e-newsletter ‘The Leaders Times’, at the official websites
- Academy of Higher Education Management Intensive Training programmes (priority right to participate in the project)
- ‘Innovative Rector of the Year’ Contest
- Guest Professor/ Guest Lecturer/ Guest Expert‘ project: organization of lectures, seminars in your institution
- The Smart Education Platform programme will allow you to conduct online lectures, conferences, webinars, including from the Academic Lounge in Oxford
- ‘Speakers & Experts Bureau’ – the international project to shortlist best sector experts and professors to carry conferences&forums (priority right to participate in the project)
- AU Publishing in Oxford monographs, scientific articles, etc. (priority right to participate in the project)
- Nominal open grants for young scholars and students(priority right to participate in the project)
- ‘The Academic Lounge’ project (inclusive distant office and conference-services in Oxford)
- Academic Working Sessions on the topic of modern challenges and solutions in the field of education and research
- Visiting missions to the Universities of AU members
- ‘The Scientist of the Year’ – open contest of the Academic and Research excellence
- AU Design Studio project and services
- Annual Summit of Leaders in Oxford – major gathering of the year
Dr. Vincenzo Costigliola
Honorary President of the Academic Union Oxford
President of the European Medical Association, Belgium
Executive Director of the Academic Union Oxford
Director of International Relations, EBA Conferences, UK
Dr. Rui Verde
Head of the Law and Economics Department of the Academic Union Oxford
PhD Law. University of Newcastle, UK
CEO, Prime Business Destinations
Managing Partner of Horwath HTL, Switzerland – Global
Dr. Iain B. McIntosh
President of the British Global and Travel Health Association, UK
Join an outstanding academic community
2, Woodin’s Way, OX1 1HF, United Kingdom
Best wishes from the Academic Union team.